Specials - Scott Westerfeld My sister read these a few years ago and while she doesn't remember them super well, she remembers thinking that they went down in quality from book to book. My opinion ended up being the opposite. I found myself more enthralled with how complicated Tally became as the books went on, rather than the story of the first book.

The way in which Tally's mind was changed in this particular book made her sharp and cruel and to stay that way she needed to cut herself (I had some issues with that particular point, but by the end of the book, I decided that it worked with the kind of world that Westerfeld has created), until she promised Zane that she would stop. Just by this act, she started to rewire herself, to find herself, yet again. I love the idea that no matter what people do to us, what they put us through, what modifications happen to our brains that we can bounce back, our brains and bodies can heal - simply by a force of will. I don't know if this was the point of the series, hell, I don't think it was, I think the author wanted us to realize that our freedom comes with hurting other people and our world and to realize that we need people to protect it. However, what I most took away from this book was this:
Will power is the most important power that there is. We don't need to be cured, we can cure ourselves.

I loved that Shay finally returned - though it took a cure. I really hated how she disappeared in [b:Pretties|24768|Pretties (Uglies, #2)|Scott Westerfeld|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348342316s/24768.jpg|1568076]. I also loved the return of David, though Tally will never love him as she did in [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1296159834s/24770.jpg|2895388]; I always liked him much better than Zane, though I do like that Tally fell out of love with him and even through her rewirings, she didn't fall back into his arms. It was a good marker of her growth.

Basically, I need to get on my sister about finding [b:Extras|493456|Extras (Uglies, #4)|Scott Westerfeld|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347490204s/493456.jpg|3315797], she seems to have lost it!