The Ghost Painter - Marilu Norden Well, I am far, far, too warm and fuzzy from a personal achievement in photography and a number of beers to write a super epic review. Either that or this will be a most epic review.

I loved the idea of this book. The concept, I felt, was brilliant. A famous artist dies, and even though she has lived a full and successful life, she feels as though her masterpiece is incomplete. Anyone that knows artists knows that when it comes to their work they are utter perfectionists. So, it is completely plausible that Adelaide Moran would find a way to posses a still-living artist to complete her work. Marilu Norden clearly drew on her experiences as an artist for a lot of the book. Her descriptions of the art work and any of the out-of-body experiences were brilliant. Her passion for color and movement shows beautifully.

Marliu, I really do believe that if we didn't live on basically opposite sides of the country, we would get along well. I feel as though you are the kind of crazy artist that I would get along with well. And thank you for sending me your book through Goodreads Giveaways!

However, however, however. I had a hard time reading this book. A large part of me wanted to take a red pen and cross out most of the novel. It borders on novella-size, anyway, and I wanted to make it most clearly a novella, hell, even a short story. A lot of the description felt unnecessary and like fluff; there was a lot of “telling” rather than “showing.” There are two rules in writing that I really do believe to be almost all encompassing.
1. Show, don't tell.
2. Less is more.
Of course there are always exceptions to this rule, but I feel as though this book could have done with a heavy dose of editing out the extra description words.

Chapters 15 through 27 were really great. A lot of what came before and after felt unnecessarily tacked on. I'd rather read the story and not the back story. 15-27 is where the story peaked, so of course some of the other chapters were necessary, but they fell flat of the expectations I had for such a wonderfully creative premise.

This concept has a lot of promise. So many possession stories are all about revenge, that is gets old, frankly. Though the “Thriller” tag on the back cover is a little misleading, I wouldn't classify this as a thriller, more so as fantasy. This was a breath of fresh air.