Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out of the Kitchen - Alyssa Shelasky I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways, and thought it looked at least a little interesting - that is, until I started reading the other reviews of the book. Dear Gods, I was almost afraid to pick this book up, assuming I was going to hate it. For the first two, two and a half, chapters, I did - hate it, that is.

For one, I felt as though she tried to make her childhood out to be this overly unique, bohemian, experience, to hear the way she talks about it, you'd think she'd been raised by Travelers. Hate to break it to ya, her childhood wasn't that unique; it wasn't that bohemian. In fact, her childhood reminded me a lot of my own: privileged, with hippie overtones. She says at one point that the reason she took her shirt off for everyone in high school was because of her upbringing, and I sort of take offense at that. Comfort with nudity, comfort with sexuality is no excuse to, well, be a slut.

For two, the "slut" comes out rampant in the second chapter. She works for US Weekly and meets celebrities and name drops every four words. I don't care that you know Derek Jeter and were invited to a Robert Pattinson premiere, I just couldn't give a flying fuck. Also, just because someone's a free spirit doesn't mean that it's okay to sleep with everyone under the sun, while you're in relationships.

She just really, really, really, rubbed me the wrong way in the first few chapters.

Surprisingly, it took a 180 degree turn when she started dating the celebrity chef that is most likely the love of her life and soul mate, though completely impractical. The love story is written well. The lovers are very real. They mesh well, even when they fight. It's a very true telling of a crazy sort of love. Even when everything blows up, again and again, the relationship is clearly a real one.

I have a lot more trouble saying what I liked about a book rather than what I didn't. And I did like quite a bit, I mean, it rallied enough to earn three stars, after the first two chapters I was expecting 1 star.

Maybe I simply liked the rest of the book because she gets a little thrown from her holier than thou horse. She actually becomes relatable as she tried to save a clearly dying relationship. Her broken down, discovery of herself says so much more about her than any name she dropped previously. She may be a woman in the need of a good shake, but she is a woman who is on a journey to truly find herself.

Her journey through food is simply endearing. However, the recipes in the book were a bit on the disappointing side of the world.