Outlander  - Diana Gabaldon 3.5/5 Stars

Okay, I really don't understand why so many people think this is the best book on the planet. I enjoyed it. It was compulsively readable. But, I didn't think it was that special.

What I liked:
The language was very readable even with the accents, which in a lot of books end up bothering me greatly.

Claire had balls. She was pretty damn helpless, sure, but at least she demanded people pay attention to her. She didn't just sink into the woodwork.

It was entertaining.

Frank. Claire's first husband was a useful storytelling tool in letting us get to know the villain and the countryside even before Claire jumps back to 1743.

Time Travel.

What I really didn't like:
Claire could have been a housewife from really any time. The nurse thing was a nice touch, but she could have been a nurse in modern times just as easily as from 1945. Other than the aforementioned "balls," she was fairly under developed.

Jamie turned into a child after sex with Claire. He acted like the sort of man that may have existed in 1943 up until that point. Suddenly he reverted to a modern day teen/child.

What made me laugh:
Thy're always so goddamned clever when they fuck.

What was confusing:
I was told by a lot of people that Gabaldon was not kind to her characters, and other than one very graphic scene (that felt sort of tacked on for shock value) that Jamie describes, she was fine to her characters.