The Occupy Handbook - Janet Byrne While I was reading this book that I received from Goodreads Giveaways, I came across this article written by Stephen King. Tax Me, for F@%&’s Sake! I found it very appropriate, considering the book I was reading.

This collection of essays by some 50+ economists, and other various intelligent people, on the validity of the Occupy Wall Street movement and what can be accomplished through it, really opened my eyes in a lot of ways. I agree with what OWS stands for, and I do agree with the way it's been carried out so far - it truly is only in its baby stages. I guess "opened my eyes," was the wrong phrase. I think what this book did was clear up a lot of the issues behind OWS. While I have agreed with the movement, and did camp out a couple days, the exact hows and whys of well, how and why our country is so fucked at the moment pretty much eluded me. I knew there was something wrong with the financial sector. I knew there was something wrong with the education system. I knew there was a mortgage crisis. I knew there was a vast disparity in both wealth and political belief in the country. But I'm no economist.

This book was paramount to seeing people who hold my beliefs but are much, much smarter than I am, explaining in both words I can understand and more eloquently than I could have, how and why we got here, along with a handful of suggestions for solutions. Oh, there were essay that went way the fuck over my head, using graphs and dense terminology that left me scratching my head; that's really the only reason this book got four instead of five stars. But the essays that made me think, "OH! I actually get it!" on issues that I have always wished for a better understanding of, by far outweighed those that left me lost and confused.

Align yourself with the OWS movement? Not really sure what OWS wants? Feel as though OWS isn't being carried out effectively? Simply curious? Read this book. It was long and hard to read sometimes, and certainly requires undivided attention, but it was 100% worth it.