Wuthering Heights - Alice Hoffman, Emily Brontë I feel as though three stars is too few and four stars is too many for this book. I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars out of five, if it were an option. I did enjoy this book, I just found it exceedingly easy to mock, so be warned.

I really, really, enjoyed the manner that the story telling took place. I love that it was a housekeeper who had raised the children telling the story to a stranger who was renting one of the two main houses - Thrushcross Grange. Mrs. Ellen Dean had better insight into the characters than they would have had themselves if they were telling the story. As she was a confidant of all the children, they trusted her long into adulthood and was able to ascertain their true character rather than the character they believed themselves to have; though perhaps the view she has of her own character is flawed, but only in the best ways.

When I started this book I had to actually sit down and draw a family tree on a post-it note. There are simply names that overlap or change too often for me to have kept straight otherwise. I mean, really, Catherine I was born an Earnshaw and became a Linton. Catherine II was born a Linton and became Heathcliff and is to eventually become Earnshaw. Isabella Linton becomes Heathcliff and has a son who she names Linton Heathcliff. I could have gotten very lost. It's a fucked up little family tree anyhow.

Heathcliff? Well, Heathcliff's a vindictive dick. There's really not much else that can be said about him. When Catherine I becomes friends with the Lintons and comes back to Wuthering Heights a lady, he runs away, and then gets pissy that she's married in his absence. Then she's pissed that he's pissy. It's all real mature. Oh, and then he gets super creepy and digs up her grave to cuddle with her corpse. Wtf? Seriously, wtf.

Dude Watchin' With the Brontes

Oh, and I missed the memo when Catherine I becomes pregnant. I actually had to use spark notes to find the sentence I missed where her pregnancy was announced. The first I'd heard of it was when she has the baby and dies! Seemed a bit abrupt to me.

I really loved the ending with Catherine II coming into her own and getting out from all the bullshit that had been inflicted on her her entire life. I found her and Linton Heathcliff (and especially when happens after him) far more romance heroic than Catherine I and Heathcliff ever were. Sure Heathcliff and Catherine I belonged together, but that's because they were such horrendous, horrendous people.