Baffled, I am.

Batgirl Vol. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside (The New 52) - Babs Tarr, Cameron Stewart

I am ... confused.  I am ... torn.

To say this is a change from the last trades is an understatement.  Which is both good and bad.  While I enjoyed the other artists's run with Batgirl it was beginning to feel too much like she just wanted to be Batman and was perpetually chained to him - the storylines wouldn't really exist without him.

In Batgirl of Burnside, she is most definitely her own girl.  The problem I see is that she seems to have gone back in time for where her maturity level should be.  I'm hoping she grows hard in this new series, because she doesn't act like 21 year old Barbara Gordon, she acts like 21 year old club rat.  On one hand I actually like this, because poor Babs never really got to be a kid - so having her act like a kid is sort of novel and nostalgic.

The artwork is fucking brilliant.  It's totally amped up and so different than any other Gotham story I have ever read in my life.  It felt a good deal like ... Marvel.  Marvel has a slightly younger, more colorful look to its art.  The artwork had me turning the page to see how pretty it could get.

The storyline, unfortunately was fairly mediocre.  I didn't care even a little bit about the "big reveal" that happened halfway through the book.  It was a "Jenkies!" moment that I didn't give a shit about.  Though I did like the big tech baddie - I'm a sucker for the computers are taking over the world trope, it's something that seriously scares me a bit.

So, I'm conflicted.  Babs is a more real girl, but a less real Batgirl.  The artwork is beautiful, but the story was humdrum.  Read for yourself I suppose.