Comme Ci Comme Ca

Invincible - Amy Reed

I'm torn.  I really liked parts of this book.  But parts of it didn't sit right with me.  The handling of the one trans character swung the spectrum from, "yes, this is how you talk to him," to "no, no, no, no, no don't call him not-quite-a-boy."  Don't refer to him as confusing, don't say you like it confusing; it's not confusing.  He's a boy.  Buuut at the same time, his girlfriend's great 99.9% of the time, never even mentioning that there's a question ... because there's not.  Overall, not great handling of a trans character.

I really really liked the idea of what happens after cancer being the important part of the story.  I really liked the way addiction was handled.  I really liked the way her family was handled.  As these notes of addiction and illness strike pretty close to home, I've found the way that family is handled as more and more important.  What the addict/ill one goes through is not easy on them, but it's also not easy on the family, no matter how much they want to distance themselves from it.

I really, really liked her descent from Perfect Cancer Girl to Crazy Addict Girl.  The descent was frantic and gradual and felt real.  It felt necessary.

There's a good chance that I'll pick up the next book in the series next year.  I'm curious to see how the character evolves.  I'm also curious to see if the author dares go back to the trans character at all and try erasing some of her mistakes.