The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America - Mathew Barrett Gross, Mel Gilles Just realized I never got around to reviewing this book. Now where did my copy that Goodreads First Reads sent me run off to? Ah. There it is.

Now this book claims that it talks about how Apocalyptic thinking has changed Western Culture, and how exactly that it came to be so prevalent. I don't think it very effectively tackled the first point.

However, I think that the theory behind the second point was fascinating. In our ancient past, "there was no such thing as novelty." Nothing that people did or thought was original, it was accepted that they were reliving lives of those that had come before them. Endings in their mythology was not the important parts of the myths, the important part of the myths was what came at the beginning or what came AFTER the ending, in a new beginning.
"...humanity's gaze was fixed on the creative center, rather than the end. Any ending would only result in rebirth and the recurrence of the creative cycle - so why be obsessed with it.

History, to these ancient people meant something entirely different. History repeated itself, and everything was cyclical. It wasn't until history became something we understood as novel and behind us, unrepeatable that apocalyptic thinking was even possible.

That part was fascinating. However, once I made it a third or so of the way through the book I felt like I was re-reading. Even the sentences seemed familiar. It had a copy-pasta feel to it. The book was interesting, but maybe it should have been way shorter, if they felt the need to repeat themselves.